Cisco Meraki MR55
Dual-band 802.11ax compatible access point with separate radios dedicated to security, RF management, and Bluetooth
Sorry, this product is no longer available, replaced by the Cisco Meraki MR56.
High Performance 802.11ax compatible wireless
The Cisco Meraki MR55 is a cloud-managed 8x8:8 802.11ax compatible access point that raises the bar for wireless performance and efficiency. Designed for next-generation deployments in offices, schools, hospitals, shops, and hotels, the MR55 offers high throughput, enterprise-grade security, and simple management.
The MR55 provides a maximum of 5.9 Gbps* aggregate frame rate with concurrent 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz radios. A dedicated third radio provides real-time WIDS/WIPS with automated RF optimization, and a fourth integrated radio delivers Bluetooth scanning and beaconing.
With the combination of cloud management, high performance hardware, multiple radios, and advanced software features, the MR55 makes an outstanding platform for the most demanding of uses—including high-density deployments and bandwidth or performance-intensive applications like voice and high-definition video.
MR55 and Meraki cloud management
Management of the MR55 is through the Meraki cloud, with an intuitive browser-based interface that enables rapid deployment without time-consuming training or costly certifications. Since the MR55 is self-configuring and managed over the web, it can be deployed at a remote location in a matter of minutes, even without on-site IT staff.
24x7 monitoring via the Meraki cloud delivers real-time alerts if the network encounters problems. Remote diagnostic tools enable immediate troubleshooting over the web so that distributed networks can be managed with a minimum of hassle.
The MR55’s firmware is automatically kept up to date via the cloud. New features, bug fixes, and enhancements are delivered seamlessly over the web. This means no manual software updates to download or missing security patches to worry about.
- • 8 x 8 MU-MIMO 802.11ax compatible with MU-MIMO and OFDMA Multi-Gigabit 1G/2.5G/5G Ethernet
- 5.9 Gbps dual-radio aggregate frame rate
- 24 x 7 real-time WIPS/WIDS and spectrum analytics via dedicated third radio
- Integrated Bluetooth Low Energy Beacon and scanning radio
- Enhanced transmit power and receive sensitivity
- Full-time Wi-Fi location tracking via dedicated 3rd radio
- Integrated enterprise security and guest access
- Application-aware traffic shaping
- Optimized for voice and video
- Self-configuring, plug-and-play deployment
- Sleek, low-profile design blends into office environments
Dual–radio aggregate frame rate of up to 5.9 Gbps
A 5 GHz 8x8:8 radio and a 2.4 GHz 4x4:4 radio offer a combined dual–radio aggregate frame rate of 5.9 Gbps*, with up to 4,804 Mbps in the 5 GHz band and 1,147 Mbps in the 2.4 GHz band. Technologies like transmit beamforming and enhanced receive sensitivity allow the MR55 to support a higher client density than typical enterprise-class access points, resulting in better performance for more clients, from each AP.
Multi User Multiple Input Multiple Output (MU-MIMO)
With support for features of 802.11ax, the MR55 offers MU-MIMO and OFDMA for more efficient transmission to multiple clients. Especially suited to environments with numerous mobile devices, MU-MIMO enables multiple clients to receive data simultaneously. This increases the total network performance and the improves the end user experience.
The MR55 has an integrated multigigabit uplink that ensures maximum capacity for this high performance 802.11ax compatible hardware configuration.
Bluetooth Low Energy Beacon and scanning radio
An integrated fourth Bluetooth radio provides seamless deployment of BLE Beacon functionality and effortless visibility of Bluetooth devices. The MR55 enables the next generation of location-aware applications while future proofing deployments, ensuring it’s ready for any new customer engagement strategies.
Automatic cloud-based RF optimization
The MR55’s sophisticated and automated RF optimization means that there is no need for the dedicated hardware and RF expertise typically required to tune a wireless network. The RF data collected by the dedicated third radio is continuously fed back to the Meraki cloud. This data is then used to automatically tune the channel selection, transmit power, and client connection settings for optimal performance under even the most challenging RF conditions.
Integrated enterprise security and guest access
The MR55 features integrated, easy-to-use security technologies to provide secure connectivity for employees and guests alike. Advanced security features such as AES hardware-based encryption and Enterprise authentication with 802.1X and Active Directory integration provide wired-like security while still being easy to configure. One-click guest isolation provides secure, Internet-only access for visitors. PCI compliance reports check network settings against PCI requirements to simplify secure retail deployments.
3rd radio delivers 24x7 wireless security and RF analytics
The MR55’s dedicated dual-band scanning and security radio continually assesses the environment, characterizing RF interference and containing wireless threats like rogue access points. There’s no need to choose between wireless security, advanced RF analysis, and serving client data - a dedicated third radio means that all functions occur in real-time, without any impact to client traffic or AP throughput.
Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) & Mobile Device Management (MDM) integration
Meraki Systems Manager natively integrates with the MR55 to offer automatic, context-aware security. Systems Manager’s self-service enrollment helps to rapidly deploy MDM without installing additional equipment, and then dynamically tie firewall and traffic shaping policies to client posture.
Application-aware traffic shaping
The MR55 includes an integrated Layer 7 packet inspection, classification, and control engine, enabling the configuration of QoS policies based on traffic type, helping to prioritize mission critical applications while setting limits on recreational traffic like peer-topeer and video streaming. Policies can be implemented per network, per SSID, per user group, or per individual user for maximum flexibility and control.
Voice and video optimization
Industry standard QoS features are built-in and easy to configure. Wireless Multi Media (WMM) access categories, 802.1p, and DSCP standards support all ensure important applications get prioritized correctly, not only on the MR55, but on other devices in the network. Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery (U-APSD) and new Target Wait Time features in 802.11ax clients ensure minimal battery drain on wireless VoIP phones.
Self-configuring, self-maintaining, always up-to-date
When plugged in, the MR55 automatically connects to the Meraki cloud, downloads its configuration, and joins the appropriate network. If new firmware is required, this is retrieved by the AP and updated automatically. This ensures the network is kept up-to-date with bug fixes, security updates, and new features.
Wireless Health is a tool integrated within the Meraki Dashboard to offer powerful heuristics for smarter troubleshooting of customer networks. Drilling down into the details of network usage provides highly granular traffic analytics. Visibility into the physical world can be enhanced with journey tracking through location analytics. Visitor numbers, dwell time, repeat visit rates, and track trends can all be easily monitored in the dashboard and deeper analysis is enabled with raw data available via simple APIs.
- 2.4 GHz 802.11b/g/n client access radio
- 5 GHz 802.11a/n/ac client access radio
- 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz dual-band WIDS/WIPS, spectrum analysis, & location analytics radio
- 2.4 GHz Bluetoth Low Energy (BLE) radio with Beacon and BLE scanning support
Concurrent operation of all four radios
- Supported frequency bands (country-specific restrictions
- 2.400-2.484 GHz
- 5.170-5.250 GHz (UNII-1)
- 5.250-5.330 GHz (UNII-2)
- 5.490-5.730 GHz (UNII-2e)
- 5.735-5.835 GHz (UNII-3)
- Internal omni antennas (5.4 dBi gain at 2.4 GHz, 6 dBi gain at 5 GHz)
802.11ax Compatible, 802.11ac Wave 2 and 802.11n Capabilities
- DL-OFDMA, TWT support
- 8 x 8 multiple input, multiple output (MIMO) with eight spatial streams on 5GHz
- 4 x 4 multiple input, multiple output (MIMO) with four spatial streams on 2.4 GHz
- SU-MIMO and DL MU-MIMO support
- Maximal ratio combining (MRC) and beamforming
- 20 and 40 MHz channels (802.11n); 20, 40, and 80 MHz channels (802.11ac Wave 2)
- Up to 1024-QAM on both 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz bands
- Packet aggregation
- Power over Ethernet: 42.5-57 V (802.3at compliant)
- Alternative: 12 V DC input
- Power consumption: 22 W max
- Power over Ethernet injector and DC adapter sold separately
- 1x 1000/2.5G/5G BASE-T Ethernet
- 1x DC power connector (5.5 mm x 2.5 mm, center positive)
- All standard mounting hardware included
- Desktop, ceiling, and wall mount capable
- Ceiling tile rail (9/16, 15/16, or 1 1/2” flush or recessed rails), assorted cable junction boxes
- Bubble level on mounting cradle for accurate horizontal wall mounting
- Two security screw options included
13.5 mm long, 2.5 mm diameter, 5 mm head
- Kensington lock hard point
- Concealed mount plate with anti-tamper cable bay
- Operating temperature: 32 °F to 104 °F (0 °C to 40 °C)
- Humidity: 5% to 95%
- 12.83” x 5.54” x 1.76” (32.6 cm x 14.08 cm x 4.47 cm), not including deskmount feet or mount plate
- Weight: 35.27 oz (1 kg)
- Integrated Layer 7 firewall with mobile device policy management
- Real-time WIDS/WIPS with alerting and automatic rogue AP containment with Air Marshal
- Flexible guest access with device isolation
- VLAN tagging (802.1Q) and tunneling with IPSec VPN
- PCI compliance reporting
- WEP, WPA, WPA2-PSK, WPA2-Enterprise with 802.1X
- EAP-TLS, EAP-TTLS, EAP-MSCHAPv2, EAP-SIM
- TKIP and AES encryption
- Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) & Mobile Device Management (MDM) integration
- Cisco ISE integration for guest access and BYOD posturing
Quality of Service
- Advanced Power Save (U-APSD)
- WMM Access Categories with DSCP and 802.1p support
- Layer 7 application traffic identification and shaping
- PMK, OKC, and 802.11r for fast Layer 2 roaming
- Distributed or centralized Layer 3 roaming
- Embedded location analytics reporting and device tracking
- Global L7 traffic analytics reporting per network, per device, and per application
- 1 power/booting/firmware upgrade status
- For additional country-specific regulatory information, please contact Meraki Sales
- Lifetime hardware warranty with advanced replacement included
Download the Cisco Meraki MR55 Datasheet (PDF).